The lighthouse, smaller than its counterpart on the Western side, sits on the end of Whitby’s East Pier. It is 55 feet high, with a lantern on top, and was built in 1854. There is a newer, less attractive light a little way beyond it which serves as the main navigation aid into the harbour.
Whitby, famed for its ruined Abbey and tales of Dracula, is an old fishing port on the east coast of Yorkshire. This photo shows the east pier at the harbour entrance along with the eastern lighthouse which was built in 1855 and stands 16.5 m high. The lighthouse shows a red fixed light whereas its taller counterpart on the western pier displays a green light.